It’s that time of year again! Weather permitting, Amherst’s outdoor skating rink at the corner of Victoria Street East and Maple Street is ready for another season of open-air recreation and fun.
Two youths enjoy the sunshine and fresh air while skating on Amherst’s outdoor rink in this image from the Town’s archives.
The Town’s Public Works staff has been hard at work over the last few weeks preparing the rink’s framework, as well as clearing and flooding the ice surface.
“Our outdoor rink is a great resource to have available right in the heart of Amherst,” said Corey Crocker, Recreation Facilities Manager for the Town of Amherst. “This is a project our staff looks forward to getting ready for people to enjoy every year.”
Town staff has been creating an outdoor skating rink in the present location for approximately eight years. People can enjoy skating every day for as long as weather permits, and the area is illuminated to allow for evening skating as well.
“Our outdoor rink is something that many people anticipate every year and really enjoy,” said Jessica Allen, the Town of Amherst’s Active Living Coordinator. “Skating is a wonderful way for individuals and families to enjoy outdoor activity, whether they own the proper equipment or not.”
Everyone is reminded to follow these guidelines when using the outdoor skating rink:
1. Use of helmets is strongly recommended
2. Maintenance will be provided when weather is suitable and resources are available
3. Volunteers are encouraged to bring their snow shovels and help remove snow when it’s needed
4. The outdoor skating surface is for skating only (not hockey or other games)
5. Please help keep the facility clean and put garbage in bins provided
6. Children under 12 should be supervised at all times
7. Unruly behaviour is not permitted
8. Have fun and enjoy yourselves