What's Up Rec?

Stadium walking track, skating great options to stay active

Colder days ahead but that doesn’t mean you have to stop being active.

Did you know that recreational skating is offered free of charge as part of the Town of Amherst’s Physical Activity Strategy to be the most active, healthy community in Nova Scotia?

Our Stadium walking track is also open Monday to Fridays from 7 a.m. - 9 p.m., on Saturdays from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. and Sundays from 8 a.m. – 9 p.m.

And don’t forget about all of our trails that are available to you to help you stay active in this beautiful fall weather. So many great opportunities to get out and get active. If you see any maintenance issues be sure to contact us at 902-667-6500 or after hours 902-664-8774.Rambler6 B

The Amherst Stadium is in full swing, and the Amherst Jr. Ramblers are off to a fantastic start. We look forward to hosting the 53rd Annual Bluenose Tournament next weekend (Oct. 26 -29). Also, upcoming at the Amherst Stadium in November is a Skate Canada event.  We will host Sectionals here at the Amherst stadium from Nov. 2 to Nov. 4. 

As seasons change so do schedules in facilities.  Keep an eye open for the closure of some washrooms around town as frost enters our forecast consistently.  Robb Complex is in the process of being closed, but we had a great year of softball and baseball.

'A' Fresh Start Initiative

‘A’ Fresh Start is an initiative that would provide enhanced community support grants to selected organizations/individuals. To qualify for this grant, the money sought by an organization/individual must be used for creative new events within the town, or major enhancements to an existing event. Deadline for applications was Sept. 24. The ‘A’ Fresh Start Committee reviewed the applications and presented the Top 5 to council Oct.1.

Organizations/individuals seeking a grant must be prepared to make a 10-minute presentation to the general public on Oct. 25 at 6:30 p.m. at the Community Credit Union Business Innovation Centre, explaining why their event should receive a community support grant.

Members of the public in attendance who are 16 years or older will have the option to purchase a vote ballet in the amount of $2.00, with all proceeds being donated to charity. The first-place finisher will be awarded up to $8000, second place up to $4500, third up to $3000, fourth up to $1250 and fifth up to $750.

Those receiving grants will receive 80 per cent of the funding granted up front with the remaining 20 per cent issued after completed a final report that must be presented to the Town of following the completion of the event. The Town of Amherst will be recognized on any advertisement as a partner of the event and copies of all advertisements will be provided to the town.

Halloween Fun

Darker earlier means longer scarier nights and Halloween. The Great Amherst Haunting is sure to be a big hit this year. You do not want to miss out on the third annual Halloween Haunting at the Amherst Centre Mall. 

This year will be even scarier than last, there will be even more chills and thrills, ghost stories and wagon rides.

Please visit our community calendar for the full schedule. There is fun to be had for all ages so be sure to check it out.

Christmas is coming

Snow is in the forecast and that means we’re closer to Christmas. Ho, Ho, Ho!  Christmas is just around the corner and that means our annual Christmas parade. This year’s parade will take place on Saturday, Nov. 17 at 6 p.m. This year’s theme is Christmas songs.  If you have any questions regarding the parade please email us This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. OR This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

What's happening

Learn what is happening around the community by visiting our community events listing and follow us on Facebook and Twitter. If you have questions, community events and information to share, email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or call 902-667-6500. Here is a taste of what’s happening around Amherst:

  • 53rd Annual Bluenose Hockey tournament
  • Remembrance Day Ceremony
  • Christmas Parade
  • Amherst Jr. Rambler Games