Media Releases

Fire destroys Pumping Station Road home

No one was injured when fire destroyed a family home on the Pumping Station Road in Brookdale early Friday, Dec. 16, 2022, morning.

Amherst firefighters received the alarm just after 5:15 a.m. When they arrived on the scene, located about five kilometres south east of Amherst, they discovered a split-entry home engulfed in flames, Fire Chief Greg Jones said.

“When the alarm came in, we were told everyone was out of the house,” Jones said. “When we arrived on scene that was confirmed. No one was injured.”PS fire 13 C

Flames were shooting several metres out of the roof and through windows that had broken because of the heat as firefighters set up their equipment to fight the blaze.

That equipment included two portable water pools, which were kept filled by tanker trucks that shuttled back and forth between the closest fire hydrant – located about a kilometre away – and the burning home

Amherst firefighters were assisted by their peers from the Truemanville, Shinimicas and Leicester fire departments.

Because of the intensity of the fire, crews worked from outside pouring water onto the blaze from both the front and back of the house.

As flames rolled out of the roof and grey smoke billowed from the building, firefighters assisted a resident remove a trailer that had been located very close to the house. The trailer didn’t appear to be damaged, despite the fact smoke appeared to be coming from it.

For a time, firefighters were hampered by live electrical wires that detached from the building with a bright flash and sparks when the fire hit them. The live wires prevented crews from reach that corner of the building until they were safely removed from the side of the building by a Truemanville firefighter who works for Nova Scotia Power.

A Nova Scotia Power crew also assisted in ensuring the line from the road to the home was cut off from the power grid.

About 45 minutes into the fire, the building’s roof collapsed, making it even harder to get at the flames.

About 90 minutes into battling the blaze, firefighters were able to enter the home, but still had difficulty access the fire because it was under the collapsed roof.

As dawn came, the flames had disappeared, but dense grey smoke continued to pour from the building as water continued to be poured onto it.

Firefighters were still on the scene at about 9:15 a.m.

The cause of the fire is under investigation.

PS fire 33 B