Town of Amherst recognizes more than two dozen volunteers
The Town of Amherst is blessed to have so many people willing to volunteer, Shelley E. Carroll, the town’s 2019 Volunteer of the Year, said on Tuesday, April 8, to a room full of volunteers being recognized by the town during its annual Volunteer Appreciation Ceremony.
“If construction and cranes are signs of a community’s economic strength, then volunteers represent it’s strength of spirit, and we have so much to celebrate here in Amherst,” Carroll said. “We’re blessed to have so many people who give of their time and talent and interest and energy and passion. In so doing, they make our town a better place to live.”
Mayor David Kogon echoed her comments.
“It is volunteers like all of you here tonight that bring a richness to our lives that would not be here without your efforts,’ he told the more than two dozen volunteers who were presented with certificates during the event.
“The town, the council, the citizens are all very grateful for all that you do. You truly help make Amherst a great place to live, work and play.”
Those recognized were:
- Shelley E. Carroll, Amherst’s Adult Volunteer of the Year, for her volunteer efforts with several organizations including the Amherst Valentines Run, Amherst Minor Hockey, Cumberland Minor Hockey, Amherst Striders, ARHS Basketball, 100 Women of Cumberland County, Cumberland Health Authority and the Community Christmas Dinner as well as volunteering in school band and athletic programs.
- Aaron Froese, Amherst’s Youth Volunteer of the Year, for his volunteer efforts coaching athletes in multiple programs with Fundy Youth Soccer, Amherst Wesleyan Church, Springhill Baptist Church and Cumberland Sporting Club.
- Carolyn Droesbeck – a volunteer with the Amherst Chapter Kidney Foundation
- Cherie Johnston – a volunteer with Maggies Place
- Cherly Lefler – a volunteer with the Fundy Youth Soccer Club
- Dianne Gillis – a volunteer with Holy Family Parish
- Dominic Boyd – a volunteer with the Amherst Care Giver Support Group
- Dwayne York – a volunteer with the Canadian Red Cross
- Earl Dwyer – a volunteer with the 50+ Club
- Edward Daniel MacKay – a volunteer with Showcase Productions Society
- Fred Gould – a volunteer with Amherst Minor Basketball
- Helena Pronk – a volunteer with IODE Tantramar Chapter
- Ivy Kierstead – a volunteer with the Amherst Food Assistance Network Association
- Jason Blanch – a volunteer with Cumberland Restorative Justice
- John M. Wales – a volunteer with the Nova Scotia Highlanders Regimental Museum
- Kashika Jaggi – a volunteer with MADD Cumberland-Tantramar
- Nikita Black – a volunteer with the Amherst Lioness Club
- Lipton Spence – a volunteer with the 50+ Club
- Margaret Smith – a volunteer with the Lord Amherst Chapter IODE
- Nancy Trenholm – a volunteer with the Cumberland Y Service Club
- Paul Calder – a volunteer with the The Rotary Club of Amherst
- Paul Hawkes – a volunteer with the Amherst Curling Club
- Raymond J. Gouchie – a volunteer with the Knights of Columbus
- Ron Gould – a volunteer with Fundy Youth Soccer Club
- Ronald Wilson – a volunteer with the Rotary Club of Amherst
- Rubin Millard – a volunteer with the Amherst Lions Club
- Sandie Smith – a volunteer with the Zonta Club of Amherst
- Vera Faulkner – a volunter with the CHC Auxiliary