A proclamation declaring May Lyme Disease Awareness Month in the Town of Amherst was signed by Mayor David Kogon on Monday, April 29.
“It’s important to become educated about this disease and I urge all residents to learn about Lyme disease prevention,” Kogon said as he signed the proclamation.
The petition noted Lyme disease is a serious illness caused by the bite of a black-legged tick that is infected with the bacterium Borrelia burgdorferi.
The Town of Amherst’s committee of the whole directed town staff at its April 23 meeting to continue working on a process that would ensure public participation in any discussion about putting fluoride in the town’s water supply.
The committee also stressed that neither it, nor town staff, have taken a position on the subject, but are merely investigating a request by the SOAR community health board to add fluoride to town water as a way to improve dental health, especially in children.
Greg Howell knows he and his brother, Adam, made the right decision when they picked Amherst to be the site of their new restaurant.
“The reception from the community is way beyond what we thought we were going to get,” Howell said in an interview conducted three weeks after Our Backyard BBQ and Smokehouse opened in Amherst Town Square on South Albion Street.
“Amherst is living up to being the community we thought it would be.”